Explore Vocabulary With Find a Book
Lexile® Find a Book includes a vocabulary feature that identifies up to 10 words from the text as having significant consequence or relevance and can be used to help inform instruction. The vocabulary words are included along with their definitions, parts of speech and example sentences from Oxford Dictionaries.
How Find a Book Chooses Vocabulary Words
Find a Book uses the following criteria to determine which words are most important for a student to know:
- Using the Lexile® scale, harder words are identified as those that are above the Lexile measure of the text as a whole.
- The consequence and relevance of the words are considered. To determine this, a combination of factors are examined including:
- How important is a word to the text? Words that appear more frequently in this particular book than in texts generally are identified. These words are important for understanding the main themes and topics in the text.
- What is the size of the word family? Words that have a number of prefixed and suffixed forms are identified. These are words that allow students to apply word knowledge to several other forms of the word and help them expand their vocabulary.
- On how many word lists is the word included? Words that appear on other word lists are identified. These are words that are academic and important for success in school.
Improve Your Student’s Vocabulary
Select a book in Find a Book to see key vocabulary.