The Lexile PowerV® Vocabulary Tool
More than 125,000 books in “Find a Book” include a robust vocabulary tool called PowerV. The PowerV vocabulary tool identifies up to 10 challenging words in each book that are important for students to know. It can also provide customized vocabulary lists and forecast comprehension for individual students.
Generating Vocabulary Lists with PowerV
You can access PowerV by selecting an individual book detail page using “Find a Book” or the Quick Book Search tool. As you can see from the following example, PowerV provides you with a general suggested vocabulary list. To get a customized list for individual readers, enter that student’s Lexile reader measure to generate a tailored vocabulary list.
How Lexile PowerV Chooses Vocabulary Words
PowerV uses the following criteria to determine which words are most important for a student to know:
- Using the Lexile® scale, harder words are identified as those that are above the Lexile measure of the text as a whole.
- The consequence and relevance of the words are considered. To determine this, a combination of factors are examined including:
- How important is a word to the text? Words that appear more frequently in this particular book than in texts generally are identified. These words are important for understanding the main themes and topics in the text.
- What is the size of the word family? Words that have a number of prefixed and suffixed forms are identified. These are words that allow students to apply word knowledge to several other forms of the word and help them expand their vocabulary.
- On how many word lists is the word included? Words that appear on other word lists are identified. These are words that are academic and important for success in school.
Improve Your Student’s Vocabulary
Use the PowerV vocabulary feature on the "Find a Book" tool. Recommended vocabulary words are located on a book's detail page.