Each year students grow in their reading and mathematics abilities during the academic school year. However, some of that learning can fade away over the summer months. This phenomenon is called “summer learning loss” and is well documented by researchers. This summer educators, parents and state governments across the country are working together to encourage students and their caregivers to access free online tools designed to promote reading, maintain math skills and inspire summer learning.
Summer Reading -- “Find a Book”
The Lexile “Find a Book” tool is a fun and easy way to select books based on a child’s Lexile measure and interests. You can use this free search tool to build custom lists for readers of all ability levels and then locate your selections at the local public library.
There are five easy steps to summertime reading:
- Visit www.lexile.com/fab
- Enter a child's Lexile measure.
If you do not know the child’s Lexile measure, you can search for books based on his or her comfort with grade-level materials.
- Have children pick interest categories.
- View and refine the search results.
As you browse books, click the “Find in a Library” button next to the book titles to check its availability at your public library.
- Add books to a child’s reading list.
You can print or email the child’s custom book list.
Resources for Reading:
Summer Reading Log
“Find a Book” Flyer (English)
“Find a Book” Flyer (Spanish)
“Find a Book” Librarian FAQ Flyer
“Find a Book” Parent FAQ Flyer
“Find a Book” Web Banner
Certificate of Participation
Partner Product Incentives
Summer Math -- The Summer Math Challenge
The Quantile Summer Math Challenge is a free math skills maintenance program targeted to students who have just completed grade 1 through 7 and is designed to help children retain math skills learned during the previous school year.
From mid-June through the end of July, parents who enroll their children in the program will receive daily emails with fun activities and links to educational resources.
There are four easy steps to join the Summer Math Challenge:
- Go to quantiles.com/summer-math to enroll your child.
- Starting June 20, 2016, check your inbox for daily emails with fun math activities and resources.
- Visit quantiles.com/summer-math every day to learn more about the weekly math concept and earn badges.
- When the program ends on July 29, 2016, print an award certificate to celebrate your child’s summer accomplishment.